Strategies Involving Reapers?

Go down

Strategies Involving Reapers?

Post by TheBritish on Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:13 pm

The Reaper, a speedy unit that can jump into your base and kill workers. As long as there is nothing ranged nearby/speedlings on creep. So as you can imagine, pretty much useless since the timing to get Marauders/Stalkers/research speed leaves a tiny window of oppertunity, and you can not produce enough reapers to make an effective harass.

However, one thing I've noticed is that reapers have some pretty good map control with their speed and wall hopping. Couple with nades, they can deal some mean damage to buildings, and can kill light units effectively. Is there a way a Terran can exploit this? I'm thinking something like a Reaper Harass on a FE zerg.

I haven't tested this out, it could go horribly wrong, but I think I'll try it out.

9 Depot
11 Rax
12 Ref
14-15 Orbital Command
15 Tech Lab
17 Reaper
19 Rax

Then I'll transition into some MMM play, two raxes are in play which means I can pump out some Marauders and, depending on Zerg playstyle go from there. If they go roachs, I'll stick with another Rax and go full on MMM. If they go Hydra's/eco boom I'll throw down a Factory and pump out some Hellions.

What the reapers are here for is to give me some psychological tactics. With a reaper I can effectively scout a zerg base. In addition, Zergs will most likely produce a unit or two to deal with the Reapers, halting Drone production. They also make great units to hold watch towers. I can threaten a zerg by parking my reaper on creep. He can ignore them if he dares, or produce units, not drones.

Obviously this will be flawed against any form of early RR. However with an early tech lab, I can stop Reapers and pump out marauders. If I face up against any form of all in lings, reapers in bunkers. Banelings are also vulnerable to Reapers.

TheBritish

Back to top Go down

Re: Strategies Involving Reapers?

Post by OpKeKRoAkash on Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:40 pm

TheBritish wrote:The Reaper, a speedy unit that can jump into your base and kill workers. As long as there is nothing ranged nearby/speedlings on creep. So as you can imagine, pretty much useless since the timing to get Marauders/Stalkers/research speed leaves a tiny window of oppertunity, and you can not produce enough reapers to make an effective harass.

However, one thing I've noticed is that reapers have some pretty good map control with their speed and wall hopping. Couple with nades, they can deal some mean damage to buildings, and can kill light units effectively. Is there a way a Terran can exploit this? I'm thinking something like a Reaper Harass on a FE zerg.

I haven't tested this out, it could go horribly wrong, but I think I'll try it out.

9 Depot
11 Rax
12 Ref
14-15 Orbital Command
15 Tech Lab
17 Reaper
19 Rax

Then I'll transition into some MMM play, two raxes are in play which means I can pump out some Marauders and, depending on Zerg playstyle go from there. If they go roachs, I'll stick with another Rax and go full on MMM. If they go Hydra's/eco boom I'll throw down a Factory and pump out some Hellions.

What the reapers are here for is to give me some psychological tactics. With a reaper I can effectively scout a zerg base. In addition, Zergs will most likely produce a unit or two to deal with the Reapers, halting Drone production. They also make great units to hold watch towers. I can threaten a zerg by parking my reaper on creep. He can ignore them if he dares, or produce units, not drones.

Obviously this will be flawed against any form of early RR. However with an early tech lab, I can stop Reapers and pump out marauders. If I face up against any form of all in lings, reapers in bunkers. Banelings are also vulnerable to Reapers.

First of all ,banelols are not vulnerable to reapers (i also tought that for a long time), they arent light,they dont have any modifiers except for biological.But the reapers are vulnerable to banes.

Second the days of the reaper died with that patch which made reaper speed require factory.
Blizz intended them to be used as scouts/harassers/tower holders.
If they would had wanted them to be used as dps units they would had given them Stim (imagine stim on reapers lol).

but they still can be used in small numbers (1..2...max 3) to kill the ocasional ling or 2,snipe some drones and force more lings or spines.
But dont go overboard with them.Also do not forget at home to macro up,because if u get too overenthusiastic with ur reaper harass and he gets a baneling nest and u dont have anything but 2 raxes at home and a wall composed of 1 rax and 2 depots,he can banebust u and release hell into ur base aka the "river of speedlols".
U need to be pretty good at multitaskig to use the fruits of ur small harass or it cant turn against u.

Also,atm 2 rax marine/svc pressure is very effective and common.Abuse it until zergs find a way to stop it or blizz patches it.It's easy to do and depending on positions and map its a easy win sometimes.Thats because after Fruitdealer/Nestea won GSL ,zergs tought they were entitled to theyr free expansion.That is not the case.Nothing is free,especially in SC2.
And now everyone does Foxer's marine/svc conga line Smile.
Learn to use it and abuse it.

Altough ur reaper cute strat might work,remember that most good zergs still been in the hell that was known as 5 rax reaper.They still have it in them.Do u think they will overreact to ur 2 reapers when they had to fight 10 reapers at a time and still win ?
i think not.

Altought i appreciate ppl trying to innovate,there is no point in that when something better is already done.Why fix it if its not broken ?Smile
OpKeKRoAkash

Back to top Go down

Post by Centerplay.828 on Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:37 pm

Basically what he said, it's really sad that blizzard completely smashed the reaper into a useless unit. They nerfed them like two patches in a row and it the second nerf was definitely the nail in the coffin for the reaper.
Centerplay.828

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryanicale on Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:09 am

OpKeKRoAkash wrote:
Second the days of the reaper died with that patch which made reaper speed require factory.
Blizz intended them to be used as scouts/harassers/tower holders.

Also,atm 2 rax marine/svc pressure is very effective and common.Abuse it until zergs find a way to stop it or blizz patches it.It's easy to do and depending on positions and map its a easy win sometimes.Thats because after Fruitdealer/Nestea won GSL ,zergs tought they were entitled to theyr free expansion.That is not the case.Nothing is free,especially in SC2.
And now everyone does Foxer's marine/svc conga line Smile.
Learn to use it and abuse it.

Altough ur reaper cute strat might work,remember that most good zergs still been in the hell that was known as 5 rax reaper.They still have it in them.Do u think they will overreact to ur 2 reapers when they had to fight 10 reapers at a time and still win ?
i think not.

Altought i appreciate ppl trying to innovate,there is no point in that when something better is already done.Why fix it if its not broken ?Smile

5rax reaper is dead.
Quoted for Truth. If you won with 5 rax reaper, you woulda won 20 minutes earlier with 2rax lolexpansion, or a thor rush, or something similar.
Ryanicale

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down