Stupid Zerg! Argh!

Go down

Stupid Zerg! Argh!

Post by TheBritish on Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:28 am

So for the first time in over a week, I fire up SC2. My first match was against Zerg, fair enough. Immediately I start fearing stupid ling/roach all ins, and find myself against a player ranked gold (cheers Blizzard, Silver playing against gold) where I get out macro'd and find myself unwilling to risk a potential Zerg run-by into my main by trying to harass with my Gate units. Wrong mindset maybe, but I HATE the Zerg with a burning passion because they were the race I could never beat in SC1 and now I still can't beat them in SC2. I lost to a Ling/Roach/Hydra attack. Here is my first replay.

So then I play a 2nd and once again, I match up against my arch nemesis! Zerg! Once again a massive Zerg push wiped me out. I tried to harrass this time, but my lot harass didn't really do much. It forced the Zerg to produce several lings and build Spine crawlers, but that's not really enough harass. Yes, I know that making the zerg cut lings and build attacking units is a good way to beat a macro zerg, but look at like this way. The zerg is gonna need those attacking units anyway. Should I position a forward pylon? Should I play more offensive, open up with more gates? I still feel like I need more immortals to deal with roaches though. Here is my 2nd rep.

url=http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=download&id=173401][/url]

Ty for looking, hope to recieve C&C soon. Smile

Death to the Swarm! (No offence, just old SC1 feelings emerging)

TheBritish

Back to top Go down

Re: Stupid Zerg! Argh!

Post by eFxGamer on Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:22 am

PvZ on Xelnaga isn't as bad... just try to get their expansions. i haven't taken a look at the actual replays

Back to top Go down

Post by Lasram on Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:35 am

Hey there,

I have seen both games and have to say that your overall game is solid. You need to work on the little things and on your build order a bit. You keep building probes and were ahead in economy in both games. You aren´t supply blocked in early game. Just keep an eye on that when midgame comes. I think you were blocked in both games when the first big push from Z came.

The 2 most important things is attack timings of your opponents and upgrades. What I mean by attack timings is that you keep building units from your first gateway and get your 2nd and 3rd gateway very late. If you scout no early aggression one Zealot and maybe one sentry is enough. Invest the money in more gateways. If you like to expand get 3 gateways and chronoboost the warpgate upgrade at least once. The late warpgates transferred into midgame and you just hadnt enough units when Z pushed.

If you are planning to expand I would prefer a forge instead of a robo that early. So 3 gate, then forge and expansion. Get +1 attack and secure your natural with 2 or 3 cannons. Since you were economically way ahead (double the amount of workers in the xelnaga game) all you need to do is survive the first push. Use your observer more to see his drone saturation. If he is that low on drones you know a push is coming soon. If you go forge before robo (which i would recommend) you can research hallucination after warpgate and hallucinate a phoenix to scout what the zerg is doing.

Other than that i would just say keep an eye on constantly building probes and pylons. And keep scouting the Zerg throughout the game as much as possible.

If you have any questions don´t hesitate to ask.
Lasram

Back to top Go down

Post by seyashi on Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:12 pm

yeah im only 13 yrs old but i recently got sc2 cuz i used to only play sc1 and zerg is what i play and i just love doing this to toss players lol
seyashi

Back to top Go down

Post by OpKeKRoAkash on Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:34 pm

seyashi wrote:yeah im only 13 yrs old but i recently got sc2 cuz i used to only play sc1 and zerg is what i play and i just love doing this to toss players lol

This isnt helping our little toss buddy Razz

British....how u doing man.First of all why did u changed from teran to toss?
I mean do u have a good reason? or u changed just because "toss is better" ?

Choose the race u are comfortable with and work from there.

The thing is...changing from teran,which u already knew the timings/whatever to toss,which u dont have much experience with them,turned u play inside out.So now u have to start all over again.
U sure u want to play toss?
OpKeKRoAkash

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBritish on Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:58 pm

To be honest, I'm still experimenting with other races. I still play a bit of Terran, but I'm torn because of the races conceptually and how awesome they are.

Lets be honest, visually, I feel that I like the Toss because of how freaking insane Collosi and Psi Storms are in the awesome department. I mean giant combat walkers? Yes pls! Insane storms of energy that destroy lots and lots of squishy stuff? Yes pls! Zealots that race into combat with charge! Damn right thats awesome. Then again, Terran have the marauder and the Thor, two units I also like.

However, in actual game terms, I feel that Terran have to apply early pressure since I feel that a 200/200 Toss army has the potential to be scarier than a 200/200 Terran army, the scariest being a 200/200 Zerg. Plus with Warp Gates a toss army can reinforce more quickly. I'm not the best when it comes to applying pressure full stop.

Fact is though, you're right. I am a lot better with my T than my P.

And thanks for the feedback on the replays.

TheBritish

Back to top Go down

Post by Stingray on Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:40 pm

WRONG! zerg can reinforce alot faster because lavae is abundant =) and its all about harassment and counters to see whos 200/200 army is scarrier
Stingray
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OpKeKRoAkash on Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:08 pm

However, in actual game terms, I feel that Terran have to apply early pressure since I feel that a 200/200 Toss army has the potential to be scarier than a 200/200 Terran army, the scariest being a 200/200 Zerg. Plus with Warp Gates a toss army can reinforce more quickly. I'm not the best when it comes to applying pressure full stop.

A 200/200 zerg army is scary if only comprised of ultras/broods/hidras/infestors,which most of the time it isnt because those things cost alot of gas and also they tend to get maxed out in fear of any all-ins or pushes with lesser units like lings/hidras/roaches/mutas.
the only scary units in this combo are hidras and mutas.In which case u need either stom (for mutas/hidras) or collosi for hidras.

Protosses tend to have problems with muta/ling.that is one of the most hard comboes to combat as toss.
Roach/hidra/corruptor is just a micro war against ur sentry/stalker/collosi combo (use FF to break theyr units in half,have ur sentrys/stalkers kill the corruptors and the collosi melt the hidra/roach).But roach/hidra doesnt give map control.Muta /ling does map control,thats the problem.

So ul need to start from the basics.If u need help ,i can give u the basics.Many have teached me and its time to give back,by teaching u,if u want.

EDIT: Ok kieran,i've watched the scrap station game.U had that game into the bag but u made some mistakes.

First of all remember (if u didnt know) that scrap station/shakuras plateau/jungle basin are zerg favored maps (altough many zergs will complain about jungle basin being toss oriented,but thats for zergs who cant abuse muta mobility and opt for roach/hidra which gets kill by 2 robo pumping collosi).I have them all scratched out in map selection.Until u learn how to deal with muta/ling (altought muta /ling didnt killed u there,once u get higher on ladder ul see zergs doing that) its my strong suggestion to scratch those maps out.

Second,ur wall was pretty good (interesting i could say) but those pylons could had been sniped by baneling busts and have the lings pouring in.U could try to get the normal 3 buildings lined up and 2 zeals at choke (not one next to each other,but one in the back of the other,becuase there is a bug were lings can push the zealot and break in by simply atack-moving,so the second zeal is also on hold position to prevent that,but this is for more advanced tosses.).

Also,getting a forge on scrap station if very welcomed because :
-it gets ur wall sealed pretty quick (gate+cyber+forge),gives u the posibility of getting cannons (which for 50 more minerals then a zealot and double the life,there are a well worth investment.),i always get at least 1,it protects me against 7RR,baneling busts (it can snipe incoming banelings and can keep lings busy) and also prevents against muta sniping the pylon powering the gate/cyber or at least keep them busy while u get ur ass there (in the case u have only 1 pylon powering ur buildings).

Also uf FF micro is awfull (ive been there as u dont worry).I know,im also scared of the mass of zergy beasts,but wasting 6 FF were 2 could had done the job sealed ur fate in that second fight (ur sentries were out of energy). A tip on fixing that.
Do u know those unit test maps ? the ones u can spawn armies and have them fight.
Make a game or log into one which is featured,spawn 6 sentries and start spawning FF until theyr all out of energy,replenish theyr energy by typing -e (if its the same map im telling u about ) or if that isnt possible,spawn other sentries with full energy.
And spawn FF until u can get them perfectly aligned horizontally and after 5-10 min,start spawning vertical FF walls.A perfect FF wall means all the FF are perfectly ligned up so ur using the minimum amount of FF to create it and theyr arent bunched up.This will take practice but its a skill that will stay with u an life time Smile.

And also,u had collosi,which is very good, but vs zerg u need blink to micro ur stalkers or else they will die as sheep to the slaughter.Also keep ur zeals on diferent control group so u can have them atack and dont stay in the middle of ur group and get blocked by the faster stalkers.
Also dont get many zeals because they are useless except for mass speedlings.U can get them only if ur very low on gas and u can spare the minerals.And even then u are using them as cannon fodder and they wont to do much dmg.Get stalkers as often as u can and get blink and learn how to blink micro (turn health bars on,will help u alot).

If u have any questions we can talk in game and we can start some basic practice if u want.
OpKeKRoAkash

Back to top Go down

Post by Lasram on Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:48 pm

Just a quick not. 200/200 Zerg is usually the weakest maxed army by far (depending on unit composition of course).

And i wouldnt eliminate certain maps. Just work on your skill and your mechanics. The map imbalances dont come to play until the skill level gets higher.
Lasram

Back to top Go down

Post by OpKeKRoAkash on Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:02 pm

Sorry for double post,but my older post was already a wall of text,didnt wanted to increase it even more Razz.

Ok,regarding the xelnaga game.
U need to constantly scout with a drone,like every 2-3 min.dont w8 for ur observer,because sometimes ur obs might be too late to scout any all-ins coming.

Or u could use the high lvl toss way (ul have to learn it sooner or later).After ur warpgate is done,chrono hallucination and assuming u have sentries (agaisnt zerg u should at least have 1-2),hallu a phoenix and scout him for his tech path (mass roach,spire or hidra den).And also constantly scout with ur probe.Even if ur probe dies it reveals critical information like "it got killed by 15 lings,which means mass lings or muta/ling" or "it got killed by 4 lings,which means he is droning so i might do a push to stop him from droning".

Once ur hallu scout his tech path (spire or hidra den) u can choose acordingly (psy storm for mutas or collosi for hidras ,altought storm does work against hidras too ).Blindly going every game 3 gate robo will get u killed once u get out of gold (and even in gold).U must adapt also to his tech path or risk dieing.
Sometimes going robo against mutas is autoloose because u either dont have enough stalkers to defend from his mutas (and u die on the spot) or u can defend but u get contained and outmacroed.

Regarding that xelnaga game.First of all scouting.Scout,scout and always fucking scout.
Second,once u have like a great influx of income and u increase ur number of production facilities u need to drop an good number of pylons.
Some ppl call this the "noob answer" but once u have an increased number production facilities and u get into mid game and fighting starts,u cant always watch the population and constantly drop pylons.
I call them "preemptive pylons".
U were at 92/92 with 1300/500 (or something like that).If u had one of the xelnaga towers and had the pylons u could had chronoed the shit out of ur gates get like a shit load of stalkers/zeals/immortals and even use the probes from ur natural and still get on top.
Supply blocking urself in early game can get u killed.
and not scouting can also get killed.
And stop doing that fancy thingamagig wallin stuff.Dont expose ur pylons like that.
Thats an invite for baneling bust or roaches sniping them.
Remember that pylons have 200/200 now(life and shields) compared to BW were they had 300/300.

And if they snipe them u get supply blocked and u die.

U macro is decent ( on par with ur league),u should constantly use ur chrono on upgrades or if u dont have probes to chrono and have a ton of gas,chrono ur gates for 2 rounds of quick units to use ur chrono.Having it sit around is not good.

Last edited by OpKeKRoAkash on Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
OpKeKRoAkash

Back to top Go down

Post by OpKeKRoAkash on Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:10 pm

Lasram wrote:Just a quick not. 200/200 Zerg is usually the weakest maxed army by far (depending on unit composition of course).

And i wouldnt eliminate certain maps. Just work on your skill and your mechanics. The map imbalances dont come to play until the skill level gets higher.

Yes tom,an 200/200 army composed of lings/roaches/hidras is pretty weak,but a 200/200 zerg army composed of ultras/corruptors/festors/hidras and roaches as filling isnt as weak as u make it.
A few good NP in the chaos of battle can turn into hell for the toss/terran.
The problem is that zergs tends to get maxed pretty quick and u need alot of gas for that army (more of an ideal army).And maps are pretty small and once u get ur first army killed, u dont get ur army fast enough to hatch before they start sniping ur hatches(which happens on small 1v1 maps,on 4 players maps on cross positions,u have enough time to hatch ur second army which can contain higher tier units,assuming u have the resources for it).

Also,saying that not eliminating certain maps because imbalances dont come into play until higher skills is stupid.

Yesterday i had an silver zerg do muta/ling on me.I barely defeat him.What can a silver toss can do?
Nothing,he will simply die.

Saying that Scrap station (a smaller version of Desert oasis in my opinion,long ground distance,until mid rocks are destroyed and short air distance can make it hell for toss who dont know answer against muta/ling) is zerg favored only at high lvl is not good.An silver lvl zerg cant spawn 8 mutas and start harassing the toss? And cant he get 3 spines and some lings to stop the ground atack ?
I think he can.

The irony is that the answer against muta/ling comes at higher lvl and muta/ling tends to dominate at smaller lvls.So i dont agree on not scratching maps.

First u need to work on ur mechanics on maps u are feeling comfortable and after u have the skills u start working on the "bad maps".Thats my opinion.But its his choice.
I only giving him advice.
OpKeKRoAkash

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBritish on Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:56 pm

I read both the super long walls of text.

Muta/ling in my levels of play is actually surprisingly rare, most Zergs I see these days either try to end it early with roaches or go into some crazy roach/hydra/ling build. Maybe when I play Protoss I'm stuck in a Terran mindset in that I need to deal some damage with drops, or maybe pressure the front with some Hellion/Thor play. That could explain my negative thoughts I feel when I haven't harrassed (even though trying to harass a drone line is almost impossible as P, due to Warp Prisms being made of Psionic paper)

Maybe I should stick with Terran after all. I'd appreciate some help Akash, but I'd like to play you as P first then as T. I need to establish which race I'll focus on while I'm in the crappier leagues. And no, I don't have a unit tester map.

TheBritish

Back to top Go down

Post by OpKeKRoAkash on Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:25 pm

Maybe I should stick with Terran after all. I'd appreciate some help Akash, but I'd like to play you as P first then as T. I need to establish which race I'll focus on while I'm in the crappier leagues. And no, I don't have a unit tester map.

First of all,u dont need to have a unit test map.U can find it in the custom game section,just scroll down and browse all the section and ul find it. It's call "Unit Test Map",u cant miss it.

Second,i had the same situation as u (sucking as toss sometimes and wanting to switch to zerg),but that doesnt fix anything,it only makes things worse.Ur basically trading ur problems for other problems (u have to learn all the matchups for another's race perspective) and that wont fix anything.
U'll loose even more time that would had been better spent on improving ur old race.

Third,regarding the "i need to harass as toss or i'm behind" thing,well that is for more advanced players (considering u want to stick with toss).
Because compared to BW,toss has lost much of his harassing tools.
Corsairs were imba gods compared to the shitty phoenix.
DT have diferent tech path which puts u in danger of dieing before u get them or dieing after (if u didnt do enough dmg with them).

Yes,warp prism are made of Psionic Paper as u put it,but remember they have 20 hp more then shuttles in BW.That should make them good apparently no ?
No,because the shuttle itself was used in conjuction with the reaver.

Altough both reaver and collosi can take good care of aoeing hidras ,loosing 1 reaver didnt meant death (they were like half the cost of a collosus) and they could be used to harass.
Have u tried doing fast speed prism with collosus into them ? The zerg can kill ur collosus even with drones lol ,because there is a slight delay between the time the collosus is unloaded and when he actually atacks.
So ur risking a 300/200 and 400 hp unit in a paper plane(like 140 HP).Warp prism harass+collosus died because the collosus is far to expensive and valuable to risk them like that.U could risk loosing 1 reaver in BW,but not 1 collosus in SC2.

So in early to mid game,toss doesnt have many harass tools,except for the ocasional odd warp prism +4 zeals to kill some drones in case zerg doesnt get mutas.
For u see,mutas shut down any war prism play.Even speed upgraded warp prism (3.38 speed) are caught by mutas (3.75 speed).So the solution in case zergs goes mutas is to either:

1)kill the mutas so the skies are safe again.
2) use DTs
3)reroll teran for blue flame haxellions or banshees if u like so much harass.

The protoss way is not rely so heavilly on harass.The protos way is to build a deathball so strong that u can go into his main base,snipe his hive and all his tech buildings and camp there.
that is the protoss way.The only way!

If u like drops go terran.Terran has so many ways to harass u dont have enough APM to use them all (ghosts with snipe/cloacked banshees/vikes for ovie hunting/blue flame hellions/marine drops/marauder drops to snipe tech buildings/flying refrigerator aka thorship),against zerg i mean.

From my opinion u should stick to Terran and fix ur issues.Ur too teran in ur hearth to switch races.

Remember kids,in SC 2 u dont choose the race,the race chooses u !! Very Happy
OpKeKRoAkash

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBritish on Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:36 pm

I suppose I'll stick with Terran then. It's official, drops have forced my hand! And the Reapers, and the Ghosts, and Ravens...

you get the idea.

TheBritish

Back to top Go down

Post by OpKeKRoAkash on Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:03 pm

TheBritish wrote:I suppose I'll stick with Terran then. It's official, drops have forced my hand! And the Reapers, and the Ghosts, and Ravens...

you get the idea.

and with the Marines,and the Tanks and the...

i get the ideea Razz

There is a good lad ,terran it is.
OpKeKRoAkash

Back to top Go down

Post by Lasram on Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:07 pm

@Stanescu: No questions or answers are "stupid" Wink You just might not agree.
What i meant by not vetoing maps is that in silver level play, what am I saying up to low diamond level play, you should focus on your improvement. Usually even if a map is slightly imbalanced. You should be able to beat a silver level Zerg going MutaLing even on Scrap Station by just eliminating some basic mistakes. For example build a forge scout and prepare in time. Its not like mutas are going to attack super early.

And what I want to emphasize againis get the attack timings of Zerg. Watch the replays use the in game clock and write down when the spire/hydraden is built and when the units are out. That way you know when to scout for tech and when the actual attack is coming. The time the spire is built is pretty long and mutas take a while to build and travel the map. So you have enough time to prepare for it.
Improve these things and you dont at have to vote maps out at your skill level.
In fact the only map i have vetoed is Steppes of war. Because most opponents at 2k+ Diamond level know how to exploit the imbalances of this map and its almost unwinnable for me against equally skilled players.
Lasram

Back to top Go down

Post by OpKeKRoAkash on Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:17 pm

Lasram wrote:@Stanescu: No questions or answers are "stupid" Wink You just might not agree.
What i meant by not vetoing maps is that in silver level play, what am I saying up to low diamond level play, you should focus on your improvement. Usually even if a map is slightly imbalanced. You should be able to beat a silver level Zerg going MutaLing even on Scrap Station by just eliminating some basic mistakes. For example build a forge scout and prepare in time. Its not like mutas are going to attack super early.

And what I want to emphasize againis get the attack timings of Zerg. Watch the replays use the in game clock and write down when the spire/hydraden is built and when the units are out. That way you know when to scout for tech and when the actual attack is coming. The time the spire is built is pretty long and mutas take a while to build and travel the map. So you have enough time to prepare for it.
Improve these things and you dont at have to vote maps out at your skill level.
In fact the only map i have vetoed is Steppes of war. Because most opponents at 2k+ Diamond level know how to exploit the imbalances of this map and its almost unwinnable for me against equally skilled players.

i didnt meant stupid.Sorry if i offended u Tom.And for Pete's sake dont call me Stanescu Very Happy,i dont call u Allendörfer Smile.It sounds weird.Call me Johny,Akash,whatever but not stanescu ,it sounds weird in english Smile.

And yes man.An silver toss can make a forge and build some cannons.What will that help him.It will still contain him.
It took me a long time that the answer is storm against muta/ling.And even if u know it,it requires lots of apm/micro/luck to use it against fast moving mutas.
I dont think a silver player can have these unless he's actually a diamond lvl player who intentionally lost all his practice matches Smile.

Also,what i've sugested ,downranking maps and learning how to play on them when ur skill is higher isnt a bad thing.Is not like u will learn all the maps at the same time no ?
There still some maps which i only had like 3 games total played on them.
Delta Quadrant for example.I played only twice in ladder and 1 in a ESL tourney.Thats it.
So u cant play all maps equally at the same time.U will sometimes get to play more on some maps at first(depending on what bnet puts u in).

And focusing on mechainics/macro and then coming back to study the downgraded maps when ur better seems pretty good to me.That is what im doing.
Like i said,u cant study all maps equally at the same time and focusing on somes at first and studying the rest later seems equal to downrating some maps and coming back later,when ur skilled to play on them.
OpKeKRoAkash

Back to top Go down

Post by Lasram on Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:27 pm

Thought I asked you if Stanescu was your first name the other day Wink Its Akash then Very Happy

Yeah thats a point where we disagree then. No biggie. I just dont think that you have to study the maps to be able to play on them. If you know the general layout it should be enough. Its not like every player is playing map specific strategies against your race on each map. As i said scouting and reacting accordingly+ decent macro should get you to Platinum no matter the maps. Its just practice after all.
Lasram

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryanicale on Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:46 am

Dear people,

the game is won well before 200/200.

Love, Ryan

Lasram: Steppes of War is OP. Tanks especially.
Ryanicale

Back to top Go down

Post by OpKeKRoAkash on Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:45 am

Ryanicale wrote:Dear people,

Love, Ryan

Can u verify that in 1000.....000 games?

If u said that some games will not get to 200/200 is another thing.
But who knows that somewhere 2 ppl of the exactly same skill ,make no mistake (just for the sake of hypothesis) and reach 200/200.Then ur ideea is proven wrong.

Ur right when u say most games are won before 200/200,but not ALL games.
OpKeKRoAkash

Back to top Go down

Post by Lasram on Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:05 am

Love, Ryan

That wasnt really the discussion but you are obviously right. The typical 200/200 armies are powered as follows: P>T>Z At least thats my opinion.
Lasram

Back to top Go down

Post by OpKeKRoAkash on Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:47 am

Lasram wrote:

Love, Ryan

That wasnt really the discussion but you are obviously right. The typical 200/200 armies are powered as follows: P>T>Z At least thats my opinion.

ur using it wrong tom. its actually Z>T>P Very Happy. Kidding.And he is not obviously right. 1 out of 10000000000 games will not be decided before 200/200.
OpKeKRoAkash

Back to top Go down

Post by Strajder on Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:43 pm

Hey, TheBritish, I'm practicing Zerg to know their timings/weaknesses better. If you want to play a few games with me, reply here or chat on B.net. I'd be happy to find some ZvT practice. Very Happy

Currently I think I'm at Bronze to Silver level as Zerg, so it should be okay. Very Happy
Strajder

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBritish on Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:51 pm

Sounds good, lets do it!

TheBritish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down